11 Precautions before starting the engine
Before you start the engine to move away you should
- Undertake certain safety checks
- Ensure that you can easily and comfortably reach and operate all the main controls of the car
- Check that you can take clear observations to the front of the car through the windscreen and to the rear of the car via the mirrors.
What the examiner is looking for
Before starting your engine the examiner is checking to see if you have:
- Noted whether all the doors are closed and particularly whether you have properly closed your door
- Checked that you can safely operate all the main controls of the car (i.e. the steering wheel and each of the foot controls)
- Checked your mirrors to make sure they are properly adjusted
- Fastened your seatbelt and that it is not twisted
- Checked the handbrake to see if it is on
- Checked the gear lever to see if it is in neutral or if driving an automatic to see if the gear lever is in park (P) or neutral (N) position.
Driving faults recorded
- Jumping forward while attempting to start the engine with the car in gear.
- Rolling backwards or forwards while attempting to start the engine due to the handbrake not being on.
- Adjusting the mirrors or the seating position while moving.
- Preparing to move away with a door not properly shut.
- Preparing to move away with a twisted seatbelt.