8 Forward Park
On this specific exercise the examiner is checking that you:
- Pull forward into the required parking bay making sure the car is straight and central within the lines.
- Select reverse gear and make all round observations before starting the reverse phase.
- Take good observations through the rear window as the car moves backwards.
- Use clutch control to maintain a very slow speed and to pause when necessary to take all round observations.
- Take all round observations as necessary during the reverse and in particular before steering to move out of a parking bay making sure it is safe to continue.
- Position the vehicle to safely drive away after reversing out of the bay.
- Deal correctly with other road users and pedestrians.
- Fasten your seat belt before moving off (if you unfastened at the start of the reverse).
Common reasons for recording faults
- Poor clutch control.
- Stalls the engine.
- Excessive acceleration.
- Insufficient or excessive steering.
- Harsh use of footbrake.
- Not within the parking bay lines after entering the bay to park and makes no attempt to correct this or is unsuccessful in this quest.
- Not in a suitable position to safely drive away after completing the reverse phase.
- Does not follow MSM routine on approach to the bay
- Does not take all round observation before starting the reverse phase.
- Does not look out of rear window while reversing.
- Relies on door mirrors to observe while reversing.
- Ignores passing traffic and does not give way.
- Reverses with pedestrians/vehicles passing by at the rear.